« Home | I know its not a real post but.... » | Ya'll know I had to go there....... » | Its My Bloggerversary... I missed you guys!!!!!! » | I need to get my head straight. » | Would you past the ORAL exam ??????? » | IT’S A BOY!!!!!! » | Happy Cinco De Mayo! » | Sex On Demand? » | The Sounds of SEX » | Have you ever had a one night stand? » 

Friday, June 09, 2006 

Que ViVa Puerto Rico!!!!!!!!!!


In honor of this being the un-official Puerto Rican Weekend I decided to repost this ......Have a great Weekend!!!!!!!!!!



I am Puerto Rican , I swear!!!!!



Ok let me explain, I was born and raise in New York. My Parents are both from Puerto Rico. So Even though I was born here I consider myself Puerto Rican. I love my culture, I can hold my own on that dance floor as far as Salsa is concerned and my spanish is not so bad considering my parents only spoke to us in english, but there are somethings that some people consider the mark of a true Puerto Rican and here I tend to fall short.


So here it is for all the world to see....



1. I don't like Pastelles or alcapurias

2. I don't eat mangos or kenepas

3. I don't eat Monfogo or sankocho

4. I don't eat Flan or Farina

5. I don't drink Mavi or Coco Rico




Side Note: ( not sure I spelled these right)




The list could go on and on but these are some of the few that my hispanic and even non-hispanic friends tend to flip out about.


" Your not Puerto Rican" thats what I get every time we have the "Food" discussion.



Then I feel like I have to go into defense mode to prove my Puertoricaness- ( i know thats not a word but its my post)



So just cause I prefer cheese cake to flan doesn't mean I am not Puerto Rican, I just hate FLAN!!!!



So what do people expect you to eat according to you race that you just don't?


I know I cant be alone in this...

Us white folks have a reputation of not adding spices to our food. I will say this much, growing up my mom never bought season all and she very very rarley used salt but she used other freash spices. So i guess i don't eat my food plain like other races think us white people do. LOL, that was the best i could think of!

I have never had flan (not much of a dessert eater) but people tell me i need to try it. I don't even know if i have ever seen it. what the hell is in it?

Malinda its kind of looks like Creme Brule'. Like a custard.... I think its Its gross but I know people that love it.

Before I get started, I just wanted to tell you that my sweetie THINKS he's "PORTA - RICAN".

Operative word is "Thinks"

He got married when he was really young, (20) to one, and he learned Spanish in like three months. You can't tell that fool nothing.

To tell you the truth, he gets on my effin nerves with it. Not the culture, he swears he thinks he's not one, but you would have to be there to get what I'm saying, he just gets on my effing nerves with it. That's all imma say. We actually got into it a little bit regarding that, I will be getting into that on one of my posts. . .

With that said:

Yes. I am not a BIG soul food eater. The green part, yes (Mustard and Collards), but not the other stuff. (Chitterlings, or as we call them "Chitlins), you know the deal).

Also, I like chicken, but I don't like eating it around non blacks, I get that Dave Chappelle paranoia (Look at her, she LOVES it), type of vibe - I know I am wrong.

This is a good post. I am tall, and black. (my great grandmother was native american ,but most black folks think they have a little 'In-Di-En' in them anyway (HAHA) - So it gets on my nerves when people say "Wow, you're tall, do you have In-De-En in you.

Oh, and another thing, I absolutely HATE it when people ask me "Where you from?" What that means is "What part of down south are you from". Looka here:

Every.Black.Person is not from:

- Louisiana
- Alabama
- Mississippi

And the like.

Although:

Most black women over 50 that live in Cali ARE from the South. . .HAHA!

I'm just sayin. :P

You have a nice weekend too, ma!

I wanted to repost my comment from last year, but couldn't find it. So I'll just say that stereotypes are nothing more than generalizations and you don't have to do certain things to prove anything to anybody.

BTW, I was on 3rd Avenue on Saturday and you couldn't tell me I wasn't Puerto Rican. ;-)

Don't even worry about it...
I hear "Child, you ain't black" everytime I tell someone that I don't eat any of the following foods: yams or sweet potato pie, greens (mustards or collards), chitlins, hot sauce (especially on fried chicken/fish - lol), pig feet... the list goes on. I just look at them like their crazy and keep it movin'. ;-)

I even have an aunt that doesn't like watermelon and she's black, too! No big deal - LOL

OMG...I LOVE FLAN!!!! Especially when it's homemade!

I totally understand about the food and culture thing. When I was growing up people used to ask me all the time if we ate rice every night - just because my mother is Chinese doesn't mean we eat rice OR Chinese food every night.

People would look at me crazy when I told them that my mother (3rd generation Chinese/American) didn't know how to cook Chinese food, nor does she speak the language...but she's as yellow as the day is LONG!! Full blooded CHINESE!!

Celebrate your culture...I ain't mad at'cha!!! Que Viva Puerto Rico!!!

Well I love all those foods, except for the mavi! Don't let people get to you, there will always be a reason for someone to say "Tu no eres puertorriqueño"! If it's not food, it will be the music, common phrases, etc...

I was born in PR, but we moved to Orlando when I was 8, so I didn't learn a lot of the slang and "refranes", but I am still Puerto Rican!!!

At least you represent your culture and didn't let it die since you were born and raised in the US! :)

Excellent, love it! »

Post a Comment